- elevation maps (LiDAR and USGS topographic maps),
- historical maps (General Land Office survey maps from 1800s, Andreas Atlas, historic topography),
- land cover maps (historical and contemporary)
- geology (landforms and bedrock)
Category Archives: Iowa Geographic Map Server
Celebrating 30 years of GIS at ISU today on GIS Day! We also celebrated the 50th anniversary of Landsat and were able to hand out playing cards, refreshments, posters, and other educational materials. This was a great opportunity for our staff in the GIS facility to share the work that they are doing, and teach others about GIS.
Six additional counties in western Iowa have been added to the 2020 LiDAR service: https://arcg.is/15eHuH0
Eight more counties in southwest Iowa have been added to the 2020 LiDAR services: https://arcg.is/1PfriS
Web services providing 2020 LiDAR for more of the state have been published. To date about 28 counties have been completed.
The Iowa Orthoserver (also known as the Iowa Geographic Map Server) has a variety of resources available to enhance and serve users. Today we are highlighting the Aerial Photo Dates layer. This layer allows users to determine the date of a particular image.
Here are the basic steps to using the Aerial Photo Dates layer in the Iowa Geographic Map Server ArcGIS Web App:
- Open the Iowa Geographic Map Server ArcGIS Web App.
- Select the first icon – Choose Map Layers (looks like 3 stacked sheets of paper.)
- Scroll down to the Iowa – Aerial Photo Dates layer and then check the box to turn it on.
- Expand the menu by clicking the tiny gray arrow to the left of the check box.
- Now turn on whichever year of flight date you wish to use (the orange areas symbolize the flight paths and within them will appear the flight dates.)
- *Please note* for some of the older imagery years (example 1930s, 1950s, etc.), you need to be zoomed in for the flight dates to appear. Zoom into an area of interest, the flight patterns and dates will be shown.
The statewide 2021 NAIP flight date layer is not yet available. This will be released when the layer is available. If you would like information regarding specific areas for the 2021 flight, please contact Amy Logan.
Iowa Statewide summer 2021 imagery is now available as a webservice from the Iowa Geographic Map Server. https://ortho.gis.iastate.edu/arcgis/rest/services/ortho
Please note: you may have to adjust the symbology to get the best color.
Here are some suggestions for doing this is ArcGIS Pro, within the Symbology tab, use the dropdown menus to adjust the color.
- Change Stretch type to Minimum Maximum.
- Also consider changing the Statistics from Dataset to DRA (Dynamic Range Adjustment). See the example below.